Sunday, May 5, 2013

Kathryn Ryan Studio Newsletter May 2013



KATHRYN RYAN
STUDIO NEWSLETTER     MAY 2013
Welcome to my newsletter!



Since arriving in the UAE in 2008 and dividing my time between Australia & Abu Dhabi, then relocating to Dubai since Nov 2011, it has taken some time to adjust to working from my studio in Dubai, continuing to exhibit in Australia with Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne and Olsen Irwin, Sydney and developing exhibiting opportunities in the UAE. It seems it is beginning to fall in to place… this newsletter is full of exhibitions and events for both UAE and Australia… Enjoy!   (there is a lot to see…scroll down when you have time )



Introducing a New Series of Work:

I am an Australian artist currently based in the UAE, with over 25 years as a professional artist. I have exhibited extensively in major commercial galleries and have been a finalist in many prestigious National Art Prizes. My works are held in major Australian collections including Parliament House Canberra, Macquarie Group Collection, RACV Collection, Artbank & BP Australia. I am represented in Australia by Olsen Irwin Gallery in Sydney and Flinders Lane Gallery in Melbourne, where I hold major solo exhibitions each year.

My artwork is inspired by the quality of light, mood and atmosphere in the landscapes and environment around me. For many years I have painted the South West Victorian landscapes which are so familiar to me, capturing the wintery conditions and quality of light, evoking a calm and contemplative space. My oil paintings are built up in meticulous layers of paint & glazes over many months to achieve a depth and luminosity, harmony & balance.

Now  living in Dubai, I have begun a new series of work responding to my environment, inspired by the light and shadows , accentuating the  organic and sensual nature of plant life and Arabic lanterns in my local surroundings.  My charcoals are built up in layers of mark making and rubbing away to leave the essence of the evocative nature of light & shadow . I am inspired by the quality of light, mystery & beauty found in the organic shapes of the natural environment and the beauty of the play of light & shadow in the urban environment.

Kathryn Ryan 2013


Forthcoming Exhibitions & News UAE & Australia:


Aussies Abroad Charity Ball, Friday May 10th , 7pm,  The Westin Hotel Abu Dhabi :

Donation of artwork for Auction

Lantern # 5, charcoal on paper , Image 51.5 x 57.5cm Framed 70 x78cm

I am pleased to be donating this framed drawing for the Charity Auction at The Aussies Abroad Ball, Fri May 10th

Australia Art Month at Art Hub Abu Dhabi         Exhibition : May 11th- June 30th 2013





Art Hub, Abu Dhabi are hosting Australia Art Month with an exhibition and artist residency program. Julian Clavijo & Maria Pena have flown to Abu Dhabi from Melbourne to take up the one month studio residency. They are holding workshops as well as working in the provided studios and an exhibition of Australian artists is to be held from May 11th – June 30th at Art Hub. Fellow expat Australian artists Michelle Tealle and Cheryl Malloy, along with myself will be exhibiting new works.

I will be exhibiting a series of new charcoal drawings and a unique state set of 4 Artist Books of Photography of the UAE.                    
   The Opening Night is Saturday May 11th 7pm, Art Hub, Abu Dhabi
               
H.E. Pablo Kang, Australian Ambassador to the UAE and his wife Rebecca Kang joined us for a Welcome Reception at Art Hub, hosted by the passionate and dedicated owner/founder of Art Hub, Mr Ahmed Al Yafei on April 23rd
 


 


H.E. Pablo Kang, Australian Ambassador and wife Rebecca Kang hosted a stylish BBQ dinner for Australia Art Month at their residence in Abu Dhabi on May 4th. It was an extremely enjoyable night and we were honored with the presence of 2013 Young Australian of The Year, Akram Azimi, a refugee from Afghanistan who was awarded for his outstanding mentoring work with indigenous communities and his colleague Michael Sheldrick, who manages an international campaign against polio with Global Poverty Project’s The End of Polio campaign.
                                                 

                          









 The Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, Abu Dhabi : Group Exhibition
 Septemeber 15 2013 - January 15 2014



In September 2013 running for several months, I will be part of a group of artists exhibiting at the stunning Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, Abu Dhabi. We will be exhibiting in the grand foyer, reception hallways and Convention Center entrance. Exhibiting artists are Julia Ibbini, Janine Ibbini, Emily Gordon, Andrew Field, Jen Symons and Kathryn Ryan. Each artist will be exhibiting a range of new work and the exhibition will be re hung with new work as the show progresses. Capsule Arts will be launching their pop up store as part of the exhibition in September. Stay tuned for updates on this forthcoming exhibition!



Solo Exhibition, New Work : Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne October 8-26th





My next Solo Exhibition will be held at Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne from October 8- 26, 2013.  www.flg.com.au



The Opening Reception will be held on Saturday October 12th, 1-3pm


I will be exhibiting my new series of work responding to living in the UAE. The work is focused around the themes of light and shadow and will include a series of new charcoal drawings and oil paintings. 

Tattersall’s Club Landscape Prize:    Brisbane, Australia September 2-20 2013
    I have been invited to exhibit in the 24th Annual Tattersall’s Club Landscape Art Prize, which is a $25,000.AUD acquisitive prize. The award is by invitation only, and I shall be exhibiting an oil painting from my States of Grace series.

Capsule Arts Dubai:    Limited Edition prints of artwork

Capsule Arts is a Dubai based company providing a platform for artists to produce and sell a range of limited edition prints and also offer a bespoke service for commissioned art work and design projects.  The limited edition range of prints will be printed onto the finest museum quality archival paper using the internationally recognized Giclee printing process.

I will have a select series of artwork made in to a small collection of limited edition prints. Stay tuned for updates on this project.

In The Studio :
Working from my Dubai studio, I am currently developing a new series of oil paintings and charcoals. The new work is responding to the local environment where I have been inspired by the quality of light, the play of shadows within both the natural environment and Arabic lanterns and design. The new series of oil paintings are all still in progress…. They will be exhibited in my solo show at Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne in October . I continue to be engaged and inspired by the series of charcoals , which will be ongoing in my practice.



All works are in progress……. Oil on linen 183x137cm / 76 x102cm / 112x152cm


Available Works:




My artworks are available through my representing galleries in Australia. Please see the gallery websites of images and details. Both Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne and Olsen Irwin, Sydney have a range of oil paintings and charcoal drawings available in stock. www.flg.com.au     www.olsenirwin.com.au


Further works are also available through Look Art, in particular my snow series landscapes.

Contact Paul Auckett  www.lookart.net

Kathryn Ryan,     Blue Silhouette,     oil on linen  137x183cm   2012    $14,000. AUD

No comments:

Post a Comment