Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Recent Acquisitions

Kathryn Ryan 













 Shadow Leaves no. 5 & no. 6
oil on linen
102x76cm each

I was very happy to hear Deakin University, Australia recently acquired the above two Shadow Leaves paintings from my recent solo exhibition Shadow & Light at Flinders Lane Gallery Melbourne. 
You can view more works  through www.flg.com.au 


Shadow & Light series:


That which is seen, unseen. A blur, movement, light falling, light passing. The transformation of what is known, what is understood. A mystery revealed, an opening in to another world. The detail taken out of context, the beauty of the mundane and ordinary taken to new heights…. Art makes us see things anew, in a different light, out of context, observing the familiar and unfamiliar, noticing all and transforming in to another realm, a new understanding or new light...

My artwork is inspired by the quality of light, mood and atmosphere in the landscapes and environment around me 

Now living in Dubai, I have begun a new series of work responding to my  environment, sense of place and quality of light in the UAE. I have found inspiration observing the intimate details in my local environment with the dramatic play of light and fall of shadows, accentuating the organic and sensual nature of plants and Arabic lanterns. 

As an expat living in the UAE, I am seeing everything with fresh eyes, noticing all the detail and beauty in my new surroundings, taking the detail out of its everyday existence and highlighting the qualities of light, mystery and mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment